The large number of (parallel) key operations for TLS and content data protection requires flexible scalability, high availability and reliability, as demanded for example by the German Smart Meter Roll-out.
MTG HSM-HA Cluster is a software high availability layer for the Utimaco Deutschland-HSM resp. Utimaco CryptoServer LAN V4, which is already in use with the eID server for the new German electronical ID card.
The MTG solution is the only cluster-capable HSM-HA solution for the Utimaco Deutschland HSM.
Both the primary and secondary systems are active and requests are processed in parallel. There is no recovery time.
The MTG HSM-HA Software provides the following features:
- Geographical distribution possible (desaster recovery scenario)
- transparent integration (API Utimaco & HSM-HA API MTG transparent)
- Availability (99.9%)
Specific advantages compared to "hot standby solutions" are:
- Availability with fail-over function: i.e. one HSM can fail / be serviced during operation without disrupting the operation of the others)
- Easy dynamic scalability ( because "stateless" is easily possible by connecting further HSM's)
- Performance / Loadbalancing (easily possible by connecting additional HSM's)
MTG recommends a HSM-HA solution ( as of 2 HSM) to ensure maximum availability. In case of failure or maintenance of one HSM, the second HSM automatically takes over the operation.
MTG recommends a HSM-HA solution (as of 2 HSM) to ensure maximum availability. In case of failure or maintenance of one HSM, the second HSM automatically takes over the operation.